This ULTIMATE version of the Health Journalism Basics for Nurses workshop walks you step-by-step through the process of ideating, pitching, reporting, and writing a sample health article so you gain a strong understanding of the process – and can immediately replicate it to begin pitching and selling real articles to editors.
It also includes these bonuses:
- Four half-hour coaching sessions to get my one-on-one help and guidance
- Assignments to turn in for personalized feedback
- Nurses who successfully complete the workshop will receive an introduction to the editorial teams at allnurses.com, MyHealthTeams and Verywell Health for the potential opportunity to write their first paid articles and see their name in print!
Here’s what other students have to say about the workshop:
“Unlike other online writing workshops I’ve taken, this one actually tells me how to accomplish each step. It doesn’t just say ‘do X’ and ‘do Y.’ It tells me HOW to DO steps X and Y!”
“I thought, oh, it’s just five lessons. I can do this really fast. But then when I got into the lessons I went, ‘Oh, this is really detailed. This is going to take some time.’ And I love that because I feel like I’m really learning this stuff!”
The workshop is divided into five extremely detailed and in-depth lessons that explain and demystify all the major parts of the freelance journalism process:
- Ideation: How to identify and develop salable story ideas any editor will be eager to buy + an assignment that has you submit to me some article ideas for my feedback to help you strengthen them even further, so a real editor will be eager to buy them!
- Pitching: The art of writing a query letter that sells your article idea + an assignment that has you send me a sample pitch based on one of the ideas you previously developed
- Assignment: What to do when you receive an assignment letter – and the key details to look for and clarify before you dive into any assignment
- Reporting/Writing: How to find and interview experts, how to identify unbiased secondary sources, and how to put all of your data and information together in an engaging story + an assignment in which you write the sample article you previously pitched to me
- Revising: What to do and how to behave when editors send you revision requests (which they will)
- Invoicing: The ins and outs of what information an invoice should include, the importance of organizing and tracking your invoices, and more
- Receiving Payment: Don’t just deposit that check in your personal checking account! Learn basic financial management techniques for business
By the time you complete all the lessons and assignments – and work with me one-on-one during our coaching sessions – you should feel confident about immediately starting to pitch article ideas to editors and report/write those stories – and get paid to do it!
You can complete this workshop in your own time, at your own pace, completing the assignments and coaching sessions as you go. Once you purchase the workshop, you can access it as many times as you’d like!