This Self-Study workshop walks you step-by-step through the process of ideating, pitching, reporting, and writing a sample health article so you gain a strong understanding of the process – and can immediately replicate it to begin pitching and selling real articles to editors.
If you would like more personalized help and feedback than this Self-Study workshop offers, please check out the Premium version of the workshop (with assignments you’ll turn in to me) and the Ultimate version – which includes one-on-one coaching sessions and the chance to work with allnurses.com to create paid content and get your first work samples!
The workshop is divided into five in-depth lessons that explain and demystify all the major parts of the freelance journalism process:
- Ideation: How to identify and develop salable story ideas any editor will be eager to buy + a self-study activity that has you develop some ideas to pitch after you complete the workshop
- Pitching: The art of writing a query letter that sells your article idea + an activity that has you write sample pitch based on one of the ideas you previously developed
- Assignment: What to do when you receive an assignment letter – and the key details to look for and clarify before you dive into any assignment
- Reporting/Writing: How to find and interview experts, how to identify unbiased secondary sources, and how to put all of your data and information together in an engaging story + a self-study activity in which you write the sample article you previously “pitched”
- Revising: What to do and how to behave when editors send you revision requests (which they will)
- Invoicing: The ins and outs of what information an invoice should include, the importance of organizing and tracking your invoices, and more
- Receiving Payment: Don’t just deposit that check in your personal checking account! Learn basic financial management techniques for business
By the time you complete all the lessons and assignments, you should feel confident about immediately starting to pitch article ideas to editors and report/write those stories!
You can complete this workshop in your own time, at your own pace, completing the self-study activities as you go. Once you purchase the workshop, you can access it as many times as you’d like!